Thursday, September 26, 2013

Zared and Kennet-Visions



"My characters, Zared and Kennet, in a scene that I wrote back when I was experimenting with first-person narrative. This will most likely be third-person when I finally do publish it as a whole." -Casey

 
I often asked Kennet about his visions, but he never told me much. I don’t believe he liked thinking about them, because he himself was unable to determine what they meant due to their lack of context. Sometimes I wonder if he had visions of going blind when he was younger.
“Was it a new vision?” I asked as indifferently as I could manage, though Kennet could always read the curiosity in my voice.
“No,” he answered simply, closing his eyes the way he did when he was trying to block out distractions.
Hoping that I wasn’t the disruption he was avoiding, I asked, “Was it that one recurring vision?”
Kennet simply nodded. “Won’t you tell me more about it?” I asked him. “I might notice something about it that you missed.”
“Very well,” Kennet sighed. “There was stillness. The atmosphere was tense, ridged even. I heard my voice, but I’ve yet to make out what I said.”
Kennet hesitated opening his eyes as if he had heard something. He turned his head away from me as he continued. “Then there was a wave or perhaps a strong wind that knocked me to the ground.”
“Did you see anything? A bright flash maybe?” I asked a bit too eagerly, so Kennet turned to me with a frown.
“It could have been the end of the world or it could simply be a fight between father and I,” he pointed out apathetically. “There’s no way to know until it comes to pass.”
Kennet straightened up from where he was leaning against the wall and looked almost directly at me as he said, “Don’t worry so much, Zared. I will be there to protect you when the time comes.”
Kennet was always foremost my elder brother, a fact that irritated me to no end.
“I don’t need protection, Kent,” I said, falling back on my childhood nickname for him in my annoyance. “I want to protect the river, the valley, and maybe even the world beyond. But how can I do it if I don’t know what’s coming?”
“Knowing won’t stop it, whatever the disaster,” Kennet said, cynicism creeping into his voice. “When it comes, you will act. The outcome won’t be changed by any prescience or hindsight.”

Characters and Story (C) SuperheroGeek13

No comments:

Post a Comment